Falmouth in Cornwall raised £364,324 in National War Savings which, given its smallish population more or less guaranteed it a place on the Silver Bullet list which meant that it
A Mark IV female tank was displayed on a specially made plinth in Dean Gardens in West Ealing which today is part of the Greater London Area.
Bolton in Lancashire, more properly Bolton by Bowland to distinguish it from all the other Boltons in the country, is today in the Greater Manchester area.
Maidstone is the county town of Kent, located on the River Medway and is unusual in that it received a Mark III tank instead of the usual Mark IV.
Part 3 goes into more detail regarding exactly how Swinton, first commander of the Heavy Section, managed to swell the numbers up to 184 officers and 1610 men of other
It can’t be easy recruiting for a new branch of the Army, especially if you’re not supposed to say in the first place exactly what it does. This seems to
At Colchester, in Essex, the gifted tank was set up on a plinth alongside the ancient castle walls. It was a Mark IV female although its number is not recorded.
While Bovington is the ‘home’ of the tank, the gunnery training was done just down the road at Lulworth. However, that was not always the case.
The eighth installment in David Fletcher’s 12 part series on the forerunners of tanks exposes the role of the siege engine in Dorset during the 17th century.
In the seventh instalment of Towards the Tank, David Fletcher describes the potential of the massive Holzschuher from 1558.