A Mark IV female tank was displayed on a specially made plinth in Dean Gardens in West Ealing which today is part of the Greater London Area.
Bolton in Lancashire, more properly Bolton by Bowland to distinguish it from all the other Boltons in the country, is today in the Greater Manchester area.
Part 3 goes into more detail regarding exactly how Swinton, first commander of the Heavy Section, managed to swell the numbers up to 184 officers and 1610 men of other
It can’t be easy recruiting for a new branch of the Army, especially if you’re not supposed to say in the first place exactly what it does. This seems to
At Colchester, in Essex, the gifted tank was set up on a plinth alongside the ancient castle walls. It was a Mark IV female although its number is not recorded.
While Bovington is the ‘home’ of the tank, the gunnery training was done just down the road at Lulworth. However, that was not always the case.
The second in the three part series on William Taylor Dawson examines his reminiscences of driving a tank in the First World War.
The Tank Museum has produced two publications to mark the tank centenary. They are now available through the Museum’s online shop.
15 September 2016 marked 100 years since the first use of the tank in battle.
“Inside the huts there’s RATS as big as any nanny goat”. The Tank Museum Archive staff have found an amusing postcard